What Type of Door Lock Do I Need?
The only thing stopping a criminal getting into your home is your locks!
With so many options available, how do you decide which lock will best suits your needs?
Out and About Locksmiths are here to show you what to look for, and how to choose the right one for your home.
Types of door locks
There are two main types of locks on the market.
- Deadbolts : your main security feature and the preferred lock when it comes to securing your home
- Knobs/ Levers : usually used more for secondary security and internal doors
What to look for?
There are a few reasons you would consider purchasing new door locks. For example, during upgrading your home, new home construction or renovation, or after a break-in. Many people consider style before function but this isn’t always the best way. Your lock is only as good as its quality. Quality, safety and function come first.
What Room Needs a Lock?
Depending on which rooms require locks, there are three main functional categories: 1) entry 2) privacy 3) passage.
Defining the main function is the first step in choosing a lock. Function and quality will help determine the level of security and endurance your lock will need to uphold. For instance, a hallway or interior door usually doesn’t require as strong a level of security as your front door. If it’s a high traffic area like the bathroom, you’ll want your lock to hold up longer. Therefore a higher grade of lock is more appropriate.
Quality & Consistency
When you buy a certain type of lock for your home please choose the same lock throughout, with the exception of the exterior lock. Cheapest is not always best, either!
Helpful Tips for choosing the right door lock
- Always look at the quality not style.
- Whichever lock you get, be sure to look for the UL on the packaging.
- When you’re securing your home, make sure you’re using a Grade 1 deadbolt to maximise home security.
- If you still aren’t sure what you need, you can call Out and About Locksmith Canberra to secure your home.