Your home security starts at front door!
With option after option on the market for your DIY home security upgrade, how do you cut through the clutter and choose the lock that best suits your needs?
Out and About Locksmiths will show what to look for, and how to choose the right one for your home and family.
First, Let’s have a look at the types of door locks
There are two main types of locks on the market.
- Deadbolts : your main security feature and the preferred lock when it comes to securing your home
- Knobs/ Levers : usually use more for secondary security
What to look for?
Locks aren’t a purchase every day. There are a few main reasons you purchase door locks. For example, during upgrading your home, new home construction or existing home renovation partially, lastly after a break-in. Many people consider style before function but you should do opposite approach. Your lock is only as good as its quality. Quality, safety and function come first.
Step 1: Function
Let’s see what room you are after! There are three main functional categories: 1)entry 2) privacy 3) passage.
Defining the main function is the first and main step in choosing a lock. Function and quality will help determine the level of security and endurance your lock will need to uphold. For instance, a hallway or interior door usually doesn’t require a strong level of security than your front door. If it’s a high traffic area like bathroom you’ll want your lock to hold up longer, therefore a higher grade of lock is more appropriate.
Step 2: Endurance
Endurance is a matter of grade. When you buy a certain type of lock for your home please choose the same lock throughout, with the except exterior.
Helpful Tips for choosing the right door lock for your family
- Always look at the quality not style.
- whichever lock you get, be sure to look for the UL on the packaging.
- When you’re securing your home, make sure you’re using a Grade 1 deadbolt to maximise home security.
- If you can not care too much, you can call Out and About Locksmith Canberra to secure your home.