First of all, what does a locksmith do?
Out and about Locksmiths services are:
- Lockout locks repaired and replaced
- Locks supplied in fitted – all types and brands deadlocks, window locks, garage lock etc.
- Repair and rekey locks (doors and ignitions)
- Cut spare keys standard and later model transponder keys
- Make keys to car when all keys are lost (most makes and models)
In a general sense some jobs associated with being a Locksmith are, cutting new keys or duplicate existing keys using key-cutting machines, impressions or code key machines. Locksmiths travel to you to install locks and closers in doors and disassemble electrical and mechanical locking devices. They also maintain locking systems by replacing and repairing worn out springs, tumblers and other parts related to locks.
Locksmiths set up or maintain master key systems and keep records of company keys and locks and/or homes. They may also solve problems by manipulating cylinders in order to open locks that have no keys and by opening safe locks by using drills and other tools.
To become a locksmith, you will need to do an Apprenticeship or Traineeship.
Where can I do my Apprenticeship/ Traineeship:
- Master Locksmiths Association of Australia
- Search Locksmith Apprentice on Seek
- Locksmiths Guild of Australia Inc.
To name a few, check out Google for even more, type Locksmith Apprenticeship in the Search.
Some great attributes to possess as a locksmith are:
- To be courteous
- Work independently and have good time managements
- Ability to work well and multi-task.
- Great problem solving skills
- Attention to detail.
These are all attributes that can be worked on before and while commencing your training. which will help you to implement them all once you are qualified. I hope this has helped in your pursuit of becoming a locksmith.
If you are after a Great Locksmith service, then Contact Us!