Common Mistakes People Make With Keys and Locks
There are many ways to lock yourself out, and it is almost always accidental. Luckily, locksmiths like Out and About Locksmith Canberra are here to help you in your time of need! We decided to outline the most common mistakes that people make with their keys, be it house, work or car keys.
- Not keeping your spare key on you. Unfortunately, if you lock yourself out of your car, having the spare key at another location not easily accessible makes things a bit harder. Or leaving it in the glove box.
- Not having a spare key at all. This is a big one. It is definitely worth having a spare key made if you only have one key. This applies to house and business keys as well.
- Putting your keys down somewhere in your car. Some cars have an auto lock feature or a boot lock only feature. It is very common that you unlock your boot, put your keys down, load the car and then slam the boot shut. Thus, locking your keys inside the car.
- Not getting remote locking looked at when it first starts playing up. It is always best to get this fixed at the first sign of the battery failing. If you keep putting it off, you’ll be up for a new battery and the locksmith’s services as well.
- Giving keys to children to play with and lose as a result. There has been many times where a small child was given keys as a distraction because of their lovely jingly sound. Said child has gone off and left them somewhere, and is either unable or unwilling to tell the parent or caregiver where they have put them!
- Another cause involving children is them trying to “unlock” things that shouldn’t and end up getting the key stuck or broken.
- Not getting “sticky” locks looked at. You don’t want to leave getting this fixed. It will avoid the distress of a child or animal being locked inside a room. Getting them out will require time and probably noise.
- Not changing locks when you purchase a new property. It is vital to do this, otherwise your safety might be compromised. Who knows how many other keys exist that can unlock your house?
Hopefully this has given you an insight in how to minimise the probability of requiring emergency services of a locksmith. Don’t forget though, Out and About Locksmiths Canberra are here 24/7 if this should ever happen to you.